Sagle Constructions has finished work on a new purpose-built manufacturing facility for Ellex Medical Lasers.
Sagle was appointed by the Adelaide based ophthalmic manufacturing company in December 2016 to build a machine shop as part of its new corporate headquarters at Mawson Lakes.
A global leader in medical technologies, Ellex designs, develops, manufactures and sells innovative products that help eye surgeons around the world to effectively and efficiently treat eye disease.
The project, designed by Piteo Design and has an overall footprint of 1800m2 including machine shop, offices, wet area, and storage space.
Stages included an early works package beginning in January 2017, followed by the base-build for the machine shop which commenced in March 2017 with an 18-week build program.
The services component of the project (electrical, mechanical, hydraulic) was introduced to the base build scope of works and delivered on a cost-plus basis.
Sagle Constructions General Manger Daniel Lees said it’s a testament to the quality of the Sagle team to deliver key client outcomes on such a tight timeframe.
“We are extremely grateful to have Tom Cree, our newest staff member and Senior Project Manager, take on this difficult schedule as his first project for Sagle, with Site Manager Patrick Sherry."
“Tom’s experience and attention to detail, along with Pat’s exceptional trade management has been first class – despite the incredibly tight timeframe, they hit every milestone, ” Daniel said.
Daniel said the success of the project was due to a great partnership between both companies.
“We worked closely to get a sound understanding of Ellex’s operational timeframe to plan works precisely and ensure limited delay.
“We feel privileged to have provided Ellex with a pivotal resource to further improve their operational capacity and work with their fantastic management team.”
Key features include:
- A highly energy efficient envelope – 175mm thick pre-cast concrete wall cladded externally with Askin X – Flam Vivid insulated performance panel.
- A 100mm insulated panel roof providing a higher R rating and more energy efficient building.
- Architectural flare through use of the Askin Vivid panel creates a striking, eye-catching design, whilst delivering on insulative properties.
- The build was achieved in an incredibly short turnaround time, as Ellex needed to move machines and equipment from its Thebarton premise with minimal impact on productivity and limited downtime.
- Integration of many trades in a short timeframe.